Guardians of the Stars
Vanguard Heavy Frigate
- Era: Late Early Space Era/Initial Interstellar Space Era
- Manufacturer: Lunar Shipyards, Mars Shipyards
- Government(s)/Organization(s): UEG, Colonies, Corporations
- Type: Heavy Frigate
- Crew: 60
- Size: Small/Medium
- Speed: B
- Cruise: 1-2G
- Max: 7G
- FTL: UEG Military Linear Type 1A (1.5 ly/m)
- Agility: C
- Armor: Shield C, Otherwise C-
- Endurance: C
- Weapons: 4 Lasers, 24 Light laser turrets, 8 Standard Missile Launchers (1-8 shot, 80 max)
- Defenses: Flare/Chafe Launcher
- Sensors: C-
The Vanguard Heavy Frigates are very old designs produced at the very end of the Early Space Era. They were roughly the same size as the earlier Kongju Frigates and designed to be almost as sturdy or maybe even more sturdy as they do away with the spin gravity ring that was a prime target on the Kongju. However they are zero-G environments when not under power, so crews need to be regularly rotated off to ground duty or other locations with gravity to avoid negative effects. They do make good survey and scout vessels with the ability to loiter in space on solar power while scanning the area.
It is armed with four primary laser systems, 24 laser turrets, and 8 missile launching tubes. Both the primary lasers and the missile launchers are inset in the forward armor shield.
It is powered by four VASIMR drives, giving it engine redundancy which the older Kongju lacked. The original members of this series did not have FTL capability, but later models did and earlier ones were retrofit or mothballed.